U1206 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
U1206 Code failures by brands
U1206 - (J1850) INVALID OR MISSING DATA FOR PRIMARY ID
Description of DTC code U1206
During normal vehicle operation, the control modules are attached to the Class 2 serial data circuit monitor for the respective transmissions maintained by these controllers. During this data transmission, some orders are traded between the modules as well as various operating information.
Individually, the modules receive a message used for a critical operating parameter, the module records the identification number of the module that transmitted the message for health status monitoring. A critical operating parameter is one that, when not reported, demands the module to use a default value for that parameter.
The U1206 OBDII fault code is set when a module does not associate an ID number with at least one critical parameter within 5 seconds of starting serial data transmission.
Symptoms of fault code U1206
- Check Engine lamp illuminated.
Causes of OBD2 U1206
U1206 OBD2 diagnostic code is stored for one of the following reasons:
- Control module wires or connectors may be damaged.
- Controller connections may be faulty resulting in a short.
- The control module that is faulty in its communication may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code U1206
In order to troubleshoot the DTC U1206 OBDII code, consider the following:
- Consult the TSB.
- Through an automotive scanner, you should verify if other error codes are stored that indicate problems with a specific controller. If this is the case, perform the diagnosis of that code.
- Check that there are no deficiencies in the wiring of the controller that present communication failures. Look for common damage and make repairs.
- Inspect the control module connections to verify that they are in good condition. If these tests reveal a short or open circuit, make the necessary corrections.