U0284 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
U0284 Code failures by brands
U0284 CADILLAC, GMC, BUICK, CHEVROLET: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ACTIVE GRILLE AIR SHUTTER 1 MOTOR MODULE
U0284 FORD, NISSAN, LINCOLN, INFINITI, MERCURY: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ACTIVE GRILLE AIR SHUTTER MODULE 'A'.
Description of DTC code U0284
The Active Grille Air Shutter Actuator works by closing the louvers in the front bumper to improve vehicle aerodynamics when driving. Especially, when driving in conditions where cooling and air conditioning loads are relatively low and high levels of frontal airflow are not required. If it is necessary to increase airflow levels, the actuator opens the louvers.
The control signal from the Chassis Control Module, ignition, and ground circuits allow the operation of the active louver air shutter actuator. The Chassis Control Module commands the actuator to open if it is the case that the conditions to open the louvers are achieved.
When the diagnostic code U0284 OBDII is stored, it is to signal that a loss of communication with the Active Shutter Motor Module has occurred.
Symptoms of fault code U0284
- Check Engine lamp ON.
- The ABS warning light turns on.
Causes of OBD2 U0284
The U0284 OBD2 fault code is set due to the following reasons:
- The Active Grille Air Shutter Motor Module 1 wires may be bad.
- The Active Grille Air Shutter 1 Motor Module circuit may be faulty in one of its connections.
- The Active Grille Air Shutter Motor Module 1 may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code U0284
To solve the DTC U0284 OBDII code, consider the following suggestions:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check all the wires associated with the Active Grille Air Shutter Motor Module 1 for wear or burnout conditions. If such conditions are detected, make appropriate repairs.
- Check the integrity of the Active Grille Air Shutter Motor Module circuit connections Check for conditions created by excessive levels of corrosion or other damage to the connections. Correct if necessary.