U0151 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
U0151 Code failures by brands
U0151 FORD, LINCOLN, MERCURY: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE
Description of DTC code U0151
The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) uses various sensors to obtain information related to the speed and angle of a collision. A controller processes this data and commands the closing of the circuit in order to activate the Airbag once the required parameters have been met. As a result, the airbags are inflated by a combustion process.
The Restraint Control Module communicates via the Controller Area Network (CAN). Through this network, working data is exchanged with other modules, and the systems are checked for proper functioning. If no periodic message is received from the Restraints Control Module, the OBDII U0151 fault code will be stored.
Symptoms of fault code U0151
- Check Engine lamp illuminated.
- The Airbag warning light illuminated.
Causes of OBD2 U0151
The reasons for the OBD2 U0151 diagnostic code being set are:
- Restraint Systems Control Module wires may be faulty.
- The Restraints Control Module circuit may have damaged connections.
- The RCM could be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code U0151
To troubleshoot the DTC U0151 OBDII code, consider the following advices:
- As a first step consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Inspect the wiring associated with the Restraint Control Module and verify that there’s no damage due to wear or burns. If one of these situations is detected, make the appropriate adjustments.
- Measure the circuit voltages of the Restraint Control Module and verify that the voltages are within the allowable ranges. If you discover out-of-range values, check that they are not due to deficiencies in the connections. Repair it as applicable.