P261B - COOLANT PUMP "B" CONTROL CIRCUIT RANGE / PERFORMANCE
Description of DTC code P261B Generic
The coolant pump is usually located near the engine, either on top of the engine or at the front of the engine. This pump is operated through an electrical signal provided by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), which, based on the input data, determines the time and amount of time required for the pump to operate. It should be noted that the pump running time depends on the temperature of the intake air, the engine coolant, the air conditioning system, and the engine rpm.
If the PCM detects that the “B” coolant pump has experienced a performance problem in its control circuit, the P261B OBDII fault code will be set.
Symptoms of fault code P261B Generic
- Check Engine lamp illuminates.
- Engine temperatures show a noticeable increase.
- Unstable air conditioning operation.
Causes of OBD2 P261B Generic
The reasons for setting the P261B OBD2 diagnostic code are:
- Wires or connectors associated with the coolant pump circuit may have been damaged.
- The coolant pump may be faulty.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P261B Generic
The troubleshooting steps for the DTC P261B OBDII code are:
- To start the diagnosis, it is recommended to consult the information source where you will find the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Locate the pump and check all its electrical components. Determine if there is no damage to the wires or connectors, and make the necessary adjustments.
- Use a voltmeter to check the 12 volts for the power circuit. Likewise, check that the ground signal is adequate. Make any necessary repairs.
- The voltmeter takes readings of the pump's resistance, and in each circuit of the pump. Compare the actual resistance with the specified resistance and if the resistance is above the expected value, the pump is defective and needs to be replaced.