P261A - COOLANT PUMP "B" CONTROL CIRCUIT / OPEN
Description of DTC code P261A
The coolant pump is usually located at the top or in front of the engine. It is activated by the PCM via a voltage signal. The Powertrain Control Module receives inputs of voltages resulting from coolant temperature, air conditioning pressure sensors, engine speed, and intake temperature. They are used to calculate the time required for pump operation. Once the PCM has this data, the pump signal is modified as necessary.
The P261A OBD2 fault code is set when the PCM detects an open circuit in the coolant pump, which means a malfunction of the circuit.
Symptoms of fault code P261A
- Check Engine light ON.
- High engine temperature.
- Unstable air conditioning operation.
Causes of OBD2 P261A
Reasons to set the P261A OBDII DTC P261A OBDII code:
- The coolant pump control relay may be in bad condition.
- There may be inconsistencies in the connectors or wires of the pump circuit.
- Maybe the coolant pump is damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P261A
To solve the P261A OBD2 diagnostic code, consider this:
- First, consult the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins).
- Check the coolant pump control circuit components for damage causing the malfunction. If you find wires with burns or connectors with high levels of corrosion, make the necessary repairs.
- Use a DVOM and check the resistance of the coolant pump. The reading you get should be compared with the reading specified in the service manual. If you find inconsistencies, make the necessary repairs.
- Verify that there are 12 volts of power and the respective ground signal for the pump circuit. If one of these values is not present, make the appropriate corrections.