P2610 - ECM / PCM INTERNAL ENGINE OFF TIMER
Description of DTC code P2610
Storing the DTC P2610 OBD2 code indicates that a problem exists in the Engine Control Module (ECM) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to determine whether or not the engine has shut down, as well as how long it has shut down.
The vehicle's computer uses input signals from the engine to determine whether or not the engine is running. To do this, it takes into account the information provided by the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP), Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRP), and primary ignition system voltage. In case the ECM / PCM fails to find a signal from these or any other indicators, you may not be warned that the engine has shut down.
The internal engine shutdown timer is used to monitor ignition cycles which are necessary for the calculation of fuel delivery and injection timing. Besides, the timer monitors transmission shift patterns.
Symptoms of fault code P2610
- Check Engine light illumination.
- Motor performance may decrease.
- Higher fuel consumption.
Causes of OBD2 P2610
The reasons for storing the P2610 OBDII diagnostic code are:
- The ECM / PCM may have programming errors.
- The ECM / PCM could be defective.
- Perhaps the system has bad cables or connectors.
- Possibly the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) is damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2610
When the P2610 OBD2 trouble code is set, you must do the following to correct it:
- Check the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) available for your vehicle.
- Before starting to diagnose code P2610, check for any codes related to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. If so, diagnose those codes first.
- With a digital volt-ohm meter, check the ignition coil voltage with the ignition in the off position. You should observe 0 volts. Otherwise, there is a voltage short.
- With the meter, test all the individual circuits for the related components used by the ECM/PCM to indicate when the engine shuts down. Compare the results with the manufacturer's specifications, and if there are considerable differences, make the appropriate repairs.