P2264 - WATER IN FUEL SENSOR CIRCUIT
Description of DTC code P2264
The Fuel Sensor is responsible for determining the temperature and contaminants that are present in the fuel, then that information is transmitted to the vehicle's computer. With this data, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) performs engine timing adjustments, seeking to achieve performance and fuel economy. On some vehicle models, this sensor is a single unit, known as a WIF Sensor (Water In Fuel).
DTC P2264 OBDII code is set when the PCM finds that the Fuel Sensor input signal indicates that contaminants are present in the fuel.
Symptoms of fault code P2264
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- Engine stalls.
- Unable to start the engine.
- Increased fuel consumption.
- Reduced engine performance.
Causes of OBD2 P2264
The factors for which the P2264 OBD2 fault code is set are:
- Perhaps the Fuel Sensor is faulty.
- There may be high levels of contamination in the fuel.
- The circuit may have a blown fuse or fuse link.
- A wire or connector in the system may be worn or corroded.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2264
To troubleshoot P2264 OBDII diagnostic code faults you should do the following:
- We always recommend you to do research, looking for Technical Service Bulletins that are available. The information you will find there will be very useful for diagnosis.
- Inspect the fuel filter, it may be contaminated. Replace it if necessary.
- Check the wires related to the circuit, and check them for obvious damage. They should be repaired or replaced if necessary.
- Verify that the system connectors are not loose and that there is a good electrical connection. Make adjustments as required.
- If you have an oscilloscope available, use it to observe the signal pulses as well as the frequency levels, referring to the fuel contamination level. The values should be compared with the manufacturer's specifications. Also, check with a multimeter the 5V reference from the PCM. If you find a power failure, perform a wiring continuity test. Repair as necessary.
- Replace the WIF Sensor.