P2201 - NOX SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE / PERFORMANCE BANK 1
Description of DTC code P2201
The NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) Sensor measures the amount of nitric oxide found in the exhaust system. Besides that, it alerts when the storage limit of these harmful gases is reached. Once the NOx Sensor indicates that the allowable storage levels have been reached, the fuel management system begins the regeneration phase.
The vehicle manufacturer sets the levels of oxides of nitrogen gases that are allowed in the fuel management system. The NOx sensor monitors these levels. If the Engine Control Module (ECM) receives this data from the Oxides of Nitrogen Sensor that is out of range, the DTC P2201 OBD2 will be set.
Symptoms of fault code P2201
- Check Engine light ON
- Hydrocarbon emissions are increasing significantly.
- Fuel emissions increase.
- Excessive smoke comes out of the exhaust.
Causes of OBD2 P2201
Reasons for setting the P2201 OBDII diagnostic code:
- The Oxides of Nitrogen sensor may be faulty.
- The NOx Sensor wires may be damaged.
- Perhaps the Nox Sensor connector is defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2201
To troubleshoot errors related to the P2201 OBD2 fault code, try this:
- Check the Oxides of Nitrogen sensor for damage or one of its wires.
- Check that the sensor is in good condition and that the cables are not damaged by high temperatures or fraying. Make any necessary adjustments.
- Clean the NOx sensor, they often stick to the exhaust. Make the necessary corrections.
- Replace the Nox Sensor.