P2176 - THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL SYSTEM - IDLE
Description of DTC code P2176
OBDII diagnostic code P2176 means the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected that the Throttle Body Actuator (TAC) has not learned the correct position in which the throttle valve should be in the throttle body. Therefore, the TAC system is limited in its function because of this error.
When this happens, the fail-safe mode or limp mode is activated, preventing the engine from normal acceleration until the malfunction is corrected and the code is cleared. The P2176 code is stored when other codes that indicate troubles in the safety of the engine or powertrain components are present.
Symptoms of fault code P2176
- Check Engine light ON.
- The motor does not start.
- There is no acceleration at all.
- The automatic transmission does not shift.
- Other codes may be present.
Causes of OBD2 P2176
Reasons to store the P2176 OBD2 fault code:
- The Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) may be defective.
- Perhaps the motor is leaking vacuum.
- Carbon residue around the throttle plate.
- The Accelerator Body Actuator or its cables may be damaged.
- The throttle position sensor (TPS) wires or connectors, or the sensor itself, may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2176
Steps to solve the DTC P2176 OBDII code:
- To begin a good diagnosis, it is advisable to first consult the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB). Also, note that the trouble code P2176 is informative, so you should perform a complete scan of the system and identify if other codes are set. Diagnose those codes first before proceeding with P2176.
- Check all Accelerator Actuator Control (TAC) system cables and connectors for damage. Repair if necessary.
- Check the throttle body to verify that it is not dirty. In case it has remains of elements that prevent its good operation, clean it.