P2172 - THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL SYSTEM - SUDDEN HIGH AIR FLOW DETECTED
Description of DTC code P2172
DTC P2172 OBDII indicates that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detected a malfunction in the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) system. Specifically, the code means that unexpectedly an airflow above the set limit was encountered in the TAC system.
The throttle actuator is responsible for regulating the amount of air entering the engine via the accelerator pedal. It is held in the intake manifold by bolts sealed with a gasket. It is also connected to the vehicle's computer through a wiring harness.
Symptoms of fault code P2172
- Check Engine light is on.
- Engine will not start.
- Throttle response is low or none.
- Transmission shifts are not possible.
- Other diagnostic codes stored.
Causes of OBD2 P2172
The causes of the P2172 OBD2 fault code are:
- Vacuum leaks may be present.
- Possibly the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP) has malfunctioned.
- System voltages could be out of range.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2172
The steps to follow to correct the P2172 OBDII error code problems are:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB).
- Because the P2172 code is informative, in some cases it does not directly indicate that there is a problem with the Throttle Actuator Control For that reason, perform a full scan of the PCM to check for other codes set. Diagnose other possible stored codes first.
- Check the throttle actuator along with all associated wiring. Perform any necessary repairs.
- Check for proper operation of the MAP Sensor Repair it as required.
- If after following the above steps the P2172 code is still set, replace the throttle actuator.