P2080 - EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE / PERFORMANCE BANK 1 SENSOR 1
Description of DTC code P2080 Generic
P2080 OBD2 error code refers to the Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor (EGT) number 1 on the side of the engine where cylinder 1 is located and indicates that its circuit has performance problems. The function of the EGT Sensor is to protect the Catalytic Converter from possible damage due to the high temperatures to which it is exposed. And in diesel engines, it is used to determine the regeneration time of the DPF Filter, according to the temperature.
The EGT Sensor is a very heat-sensitive resistor that receives a 5-volt reference and ground signal from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). It converts the exhaust temperature into a voltage signal which it then sends to the PCM.
If the exhaust temperature is high, the resistance to the ground will show a high voltage. But if there is a lower temperature, the resistor acts accordingly. If the engine has a low voltage, the PCM is responsible for changing the engine timing or fuel ratio in order to maintain a temperature within acceptable parameters.
Symptoms of fault code P2080 Generic
- Check Engine light illuminates.
- Most likely there are no symptoms other than a stored P2080 code.
Causes of OBD2 P2080 Generic
The causes of the P2080 OBDII diagnostic code are:
- There may be mismatched connectors or terminals.
- The Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor wires may be faulty.
- The EGT Sensor may be in bad condition.
- The exhaust system may not have the EGT provisions installed.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2080 Generic
When the DTC P2080 OBD2 code is set, you must do the following to correct it:
- Locate the EGT Sensor according to your model. Remember that if it is a gasoline engine it is located between the intake manifold and the Catalytic Converter, in diesel engines, it is before the DFP filter, and if the vehicle has a turbo, the sensor is located at the exhaust inlet. After you have located it, verify that its connector and the corresponding cables comply with the conditions for the correct operation of the system. You must repair or replace any of these that require it.
- Disconnect the EGT sensor and check its resistance. A resistance below 50 ohms will indicate that the sensor should be replaced.