P2040 - REDUCTANT INJECTION AIR PRESSURE SENSOR "A" CIRCUIT HIGH
Description of DTC code P2040 Generic
In Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems, the catalyst (TWC) is used to convert nitrogen oxides into dinitrogen and water. To achieve this, a gaseous reductant is used, which is added to the exhaust stream and adsorbed by the TWC. The reductant that is injected into the exhaust is known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), with which a higher temperature of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is achieved, thus obtaining a higher performance of the same.
The pump that supplies the reducer is used to pressurize the fluid in the system when needed. The voltage of this pump is constantly monitored by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to check the constant fluctuation of the fluid and the load percentage. For this, the PCM monitors one or more pressure sensors in the system to check for leaks.
When the diagnostic code P2040 OBD2 is stored, it means that a high input was detected in the “A” circuit of the Injection Air Pressure Sensor. However, this code is used by some manufacturers, at their discretion. For example on Mercedes vehicles, this code is used to indicate that the Oil Quality Sensor has a high or out-of-range signal.
Symptoms of fault code P2040 Generic
- Check Engine light is on.
- An excessive amount of black smoke is expelled from the exhaust during acceleration.
- Reduced overall engine performance.
Causes of OBD2 P2040 Generic
The reasons for setting the P2040 OBDII fault code are:
- The Air Reducer Pressure Sensor may be faulty.
- The Air Reducer Pressure Sensor circuit is possibly open or shorted.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P2040 Generic
The troubleshooting steps for DTC P2040 OBD2 are:
- Activate the pressure pump to verify that there are no external leaks in the system. Repair any leaks detected.
- Verify that the wires of the Air Reducer Pressure Sensor are in good condition. Repair or replace any of these components as required.
- Using a DVOM, check that the electrical values of the Air Reducer Pressure Sensor are as specified by the manufacturer. If there are considerable margins, replace the sensor.
- Check the input and output signal circuits of the Air Reducer Pressure Sensor with a multimeter. Repair it as needed.