P1717 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1717 Code failures by brands
P1717 ACURA, HONDA: TRANSMISSION RANGE SWITCH OPEN CIRCUIT
Description of DTC code P1717
The Transmission Range Switch/Sensor is connected to a control shaft. When the shift lever is operated, this shaft rotates via a shift cable. The automatic transmission (A/T) gear position indicator shows which position is selected according to the combinations of high and low signals, which change according to the rotation angle of the control shaft.
The control shaft creates variations in the position of the transmission range switch, activates the manual valve, and also changes the hydraulic pressure. Through these processes, the transmission can shift forward, neutral, or reverse. The signal from the switch is employed to regulate the shift schedule. The voltage is high between 5 and 12 volts at the input terminal of the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) when each switch position is open, and the voltage is low (0 V) when the switch is closed.
P1717 OBD2 fault code is set when the PCM perceives an open circuit from the Transmission Range Switch.
Symptoms of fault code P1717
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- Transmission shifts have problems.
Causes of OBD2 P1717
P1717 OBDII diagnostic code is set for one of the following reasons:
- Transmission Range Switch/Sensor wires or connectors may have been damaged.
- The Transmission Range Switch circuit may have deficiencies in its connections, which cause the open circuit.
- The Transmission Range Switch may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1717
To troubleshoot the DTC P1717 OBD2 code you must do the following:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Verify that there is no damage in the wiring of the Transmission Range Switch In case of finding common deficiencies, make the pertinent repairs.