P1703 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1703 Code failures by brands
P1703 FORD, LINCOLN, MERCURY: BRAKE ON/OFF SWITCH OUT OF SELF-TEST RANGE
Description of DTC code P1703
When the brake pedal is applied or applied, the brake light switch sends voltage to the brake lights through a dedicated circuit. With this signal, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is also informed that the brake pedal has been applied. When voltage is detected from the brake light switch by the PCM, the speed control is deactivated.
The short speed control disabling switch interrupts the power signal to the PCM through a circuit. When the pedal is firmly applied and passes the light switch trip point, the PCM interprets this as a redundant light.
P1703 OBDII diagnostic code is set when a short or open circuit is detected after a self-test of the brake switch, which is why this circuit is out of range.
Symptoms of fault code P1703
- Check Engine lamp illuminated.
- The cruise control system does not work.
Causes of OBD2 P1703
DTC P1703 OBD2 is stored for one of the following reasons:
- Brake pedal position switch wires may have been damaged.
- The brake pedal position switch circuit may be shorted or open.
- The brake switch could be out of adjustment or in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1703
The steps to follow to correct the P1703 OBDII fault code are:
- To start the diagnosis, consult the TSB.
- Check the good condition of the wiring and connectors of the brake pedal position switch circuit. If common damage is discovered, make repairs or replacements.
- With the use of a scan tool, you should check the brake lights for proper operation. These lights should turn on and off according to the application of the brake pedal. If this is not the case, make the necessary corrections.
- Verify that the brake switch is properly adjusted and that it is not damaged. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for diagnosing the brake switch and if the damage is discovered, make the corresponding adjustments.