P1690 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1690 Code failures by brands
P1690 HYUNDAI, KIA: SMARTRA IMMOBILIZER NO RESPONSE
Description of DTC code P1690
The immobilizer system has the function of disabling the car without the use of the appropriate. Apart from presently available security systems such as alarms, the immobilizer significantly reduces the level of vehicle break-ins.
The SMARTRA system involves a passive challenge response or two-way authentication transponder that is found in the ignition key. Also, included in this system is an antenna coil, a coded SMARTRA unit, an indicator light, and the Engine Control Module (ECM). The SMARTRA communicates with the ECM via a dedicated communication line.
If the correct key is used, the ECM energizes the fuel delivery system and the immobilizer indicator light on the cluster will illuminate simultaneously, indicating that the SMARTRA unit has recognized the code sent by the transponder. In case the key used is incorrect and the code was not recognized or received by the ECM, the indicator light flashes for approximately five seconds before the ignition switches off..
The P1690 OBDII fault code is set when a malfunction is detected from the SMARTRA system. In this condition, the SMARTRA system has been unresponsive for a certain amount of time.
Symptoms of fault code P1690
- Check Engine lamp on.
- The engine starts disabled.
Causes of OBD2 P1690
The reasons why the P1690 OBD2 diagnostic code is set are:
- The antenna coil may have errors.
- The communication line may be faulty due to a short or open circuit.
- The message sent from the SMARTRA to the ECM may be invalid.
- The SMARTRA may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1690
The corresponding steps to resolve the DTC P1690 OBDII code are:
- Consult the TSB.
- Using an automotive scanner you should check if other DTCs are stored that refer to specific faults of an immobilizer component. The diagnosis of these codes should follow the order indicated by the scan tool.
- Check the electrical components (wires and connectors) related to the SMARTRA system communication line for common damage. If deficiencies are discovered, make the appropriate repairs.
- For a diagnosis of the antenna coil and the communication parameters between the SMARTRA and the ECM, you should consult the steps indicated by the manufacturer in its specifications. If inconsistencies are found, proceed to make the appropriate adjustments.