P1687 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
Description of DTC code P1687 Generic
The instruments or control signals displayed on the dashboard of the vehicles are extremely necessary tools that must be visible to the driver, taking into account that, thanks to these signals, the operation of the car is monitored in a safe manner and in compliance with traffic regulations. The instrument panel includes the vehicle’s speed, available fuel, and coolant temperature indicators, which can be displayed in analog or digital mode. Also, several indicator lights give signals of battery charge, oil, and brake fluid pressure. Many data can be displayed on the dashboard, and their design and function vary according to the manufacturer.
Each message displayed on the instrument cluster is monitored during ignition. The P1687 OBDII fault code is set on Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) does not receive a message from the instrument cluster status bus within 20 seconds.
Symptoms of fault code P1687 Generic
- Check Engine Lamp illuminated.
Causes of OBD2 P1687 Generic
P1687 OBD2 diagnostic code is stored for one of the following reasons:
- Instrument cluster wires may have been damaged.
- Instrument cluster electrical connections may be faulty, thus causing an open or shorted circuit.
- The instrument cluster may be in poor condition.
- PCM may have damage.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1687 Generic
To troubleshoot the DTC P1687 OBDII code you must do the following:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Inspect the wiring and connections related to the instrument cluster in order to verify that they do not present any deficiencies caused by burns or wear. If any of these conditions are detected, make the appropriate adjustments.
- Verify that the instrument cluster circuit is not shorted or open due to mismatched or deficient connections. Repair as required.
- For a more advanced diagnosis of the instrument cluster, we recommend that you visit a specialized automotive center.