P1639 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1639 Code failures by brands
P1639 FORD, LINCOLN, MERCURY: VEHICLE ID BLOCK CORRUPTED OR NOT PROGRAMMED
Description of DTC code P1639
Most control modules need to be configured or programmed, and so there is a variety of choices for each vehicle. This avoids the need for many unique modules for a line of vehicles. After the replacement of one of these modules, they require to be configured as part of the repair procedure. They should not be interchanged between vehicles as they are unique to each vehicle. If the module is configured wrongly, it will work wrongly.
The Diagnostic code P1639 OBDII is stored when the Vehicle Identification Block (VID) is not working properly due to improper programming or damage to this controller.
Symptoms of fault code P1639
- The Check Engine light may turn on.
Causes of OBD2 P1639
Reasons to set the DTC P1639 OBD2:
- The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may be damaged.
- The Vehicle ID Block (VID) display configuration parameters may be incorrect.
- If a recent PCM change has occurred, the PCM programming may not be correct.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1639
Steps to troubleshoot the P1639 OBDII fault code:
- Consult the TSBs. The manufacturer has important information about various known troubles.
- Check if other trouble codes are set due to the complexity of this code. If such codes are found, diagnose them based on the order of the scanner.
- If you have recently repaired or reprogrammed the Powertrain Control Module, if the powertrain settings are incorrect, this code may be stored. For this reason, visit an automotive service center to make corrections. If not, there may be a bad module.