P1615 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
Description of DTC code P1615 Generic
Over the years, vehicle manufacturers have designed various systems to ensure safety levels. One of these is the immobilizer, a component whose function is to avoid or prevent the engine from operating without the presence of the correct key. With this system, a considerable reduction in car robberies is achieved taking into account that, thanks to this system, the car is prevented from being hot-wired.
The most recent immobilizer systems have advanced cryptographic codes or IDs. It is through these that it is able to avoid the key or controller code from being replicated. Inside the key, there is a microcircuit that is activated by an electromagnetic field that is responsible for inducing the electrical signal in the key body, which produces the binary code that is scanned by the ECM (Engine Control Module) or a corresponding module.
When the P1615 OBDII fault code is set it is because the IMMU or Body Control Module received the key ID signal, but the result in the ID check does not match the one stored in the IMMU.
Symptoms of fault code P1615 Generic
- Check Engine lamp illuminated.
- The motor cannot run.
Causes of OBD2 P1615 Generic
The P1615 OBD2 diagnostic code is set for one of the following reasons:
- The ignition key could have programming faults or it’s damaged.
- The IMMU may be in poor condition.
- The Engine Control Module could be defective.
- Defects in the oil control valve.
- Short-circuit in the VCT (solenoid valve).
- Low or dirty oil.
- Damaged computer.
- PCM error.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1615 Generic
The steps to follow to correct the DTC P1615 OBDII code are:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Before performing any repair related to this code we must mention that this code is activated in many cases by using a defective or unregistered key to start the engine. If the starting operation is carried out 5 or more consecutive times with the same unregistered key, the system locks up. Taking this into account, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and try to start the engine with a registered key. If this does not solve the problem, it is essential to program the keys.
- Check the controllers involved with the immobilizer system for deficiencies. Correct it as necessary.
Codes related to P1615