P1604 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
Description of DTC code P1604 Generic
In modern automobiles, it is the software-controlled electronics that play a very important role in the performance of the various vehicle subsystems. There are many control modules installed that are responsible for the operation of the brakes, engine, transmission, steering, audio, and other systems. Although all these controllers work on their own, they are connected through some communication protocols.
The IPC (Instrument Panel) can be described as one of the few devices with which the vehicle communicates with the driver. Devices such as the display screen and the information center are considered additional devices for the IPC or subsystems. Although the instrument panel is simpler than other controls, it is extremely important because it is one of the few observed by the driver. It takes the signals from various sensors and communicates with most of the vehicle’s modules to get relevant information and status.
When the vehicle’s engine runs at more than 500 RPM for more than 10 continuous seconds, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) establishes communication with the instrument panel if a serial data signal is found, which turns out to be invalid or no serial data is received, the fault code P1604 OBDII will be set.
Symptoms of fault code P1604 Generic
- Check Engine lamp on.
- Faults in the data are displayed by the instrument panel.
Causes of OBD2 P1604 Generic
The reasons for setting the diagnostic code P1604 OBD2 are
- The IPC's electrical circuits may have damage on their cables.
- The electrical connections in the instrument panel may have deficiencies that could cause a short circuit.
- The CPI may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1604 Generic
The steps to solve the DTC code P1604 OBDII are the following:
- See the Technical Service Bulletins.
- With the help of electrical diagrams, locate all the wiring in the instrument panel. Look for corrosion or burn damage. Repair as necessary.
- Measure the voltage of the circuit that the IPC controls and verify that these readings match those specified by the manufacturer. If some conditions are detected that cause a short, make repairs.