P1464 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1464 Code failures by brands
P1464 INFINITI, NISSAN: FUEL LEVEL SENSOR
Description of DTC code P1464
The Fuel Level Sensor (FLS) is an electronic device whose function is to detect the fuel level present in the fuel tank. Subsequently, this information is transmitted to the ECM (Engine Control Module) through an electrical signal, which, based on this, will inform the driver through the corresponding indicators.
The Fuel Level Sensor is composed of two parts, one is a mechanical float and the other is a variable resistor. The output voltage of this sensor changes according to the movement of the mechanical fuel float. If the ECM receives a voltage from this sensor, which exceeds the maximum allowable level, the P1464 OBDII fault code will be set on Infiniti and Nissan vehicles.
Symptoms of fault code P1464
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- Fuel efficiency problems.
- Inconsistencies with the amount of fuel shown on the gauge.
Causes of OBD2 P1464
P1464 OBD2 diagnostic code is set for one of the following reasons:
- The Fuel Level Sensor wires may be faulty.
- The Fuel Level Sensor circuit connections may have been damaged causing poor performance.
- The Fuel Level Sensor may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1464
The steps to follow to troubleshoot the DTC P1464 OBDII code are as follows:
- Consult the TSBs as a first step.
- Inspect the fuel level sensor wiring in order to verify that it has no deficiencies caused by burns or wear. If such conditions are found, make the appropriate repairs.
- Check the Fuel Level Sensor circuit connections for damage that directly affects its circuit voltages. If the actual voltages do not match those specified, make corrections.
- Check to see if the resistance of the Fuel Level Sensor matches the manufacturer's resistance as stated in the specifications. If you found that the resistance is poor, the sensor is damaged and should be replaced.