P1446 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1446 Code failures by brands
P1446 INFINITI, NISSAN: EVAP CANISTER VENT CONTROL VALVE CLOSE
Description of DTC code P1446
The Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP System) is designed for the storage of combustion vapors. With this system, it is possible to prevent the vapors from escaping into the environment and thus reduce damage to the environment. Various valves, sensors, and actuators carry out this process, which is directly controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).
You can find the EVAP canister vent control valve on the canister itself, and it seals the canister vent. The coil of this solenoid valve is energized when the ECM sends an ignition signal to it. Then, a plunger moves and seals the vessel vent. The sealing capability is necessary to perform on-board diagnostics of other system components. This solenoid is only used for diagnostics, so it is usually open. When the vent is closed under normal purging conditions, the EVAP is depressurized, allowing control system diagnostics (small leaks).
The OBDII fault code P1446 is set when the EVAP canister vent control valve remains in the closed position under various specified driving conditions.
Symptoms of fault code P1446
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- Loss of fuel efficiency.
Causes of OBD2 P1446
The diagnostic code P1446 OBD2 is set for the following reasons:
- The EVAP Pressure Sensor wires may be faulty.
- The EVAP pressure sensor may be defective.
- The rubber tubing on the EVAP canister vent control valve may be blocked.
- The EVAP water separator may be deficient.
- The EVAP container may be saturated with water.
- The EVAP canister vent control valve may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1446
Steps to troubleshoot the P1446 OBDII DTC:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Diagnose all the codes that may be stored and refer to the emissions system. Diagnosis should be in the order shown on the scanner.
- Check for damage to the EVAP Pressure Sensor and EVAP canister vent control valve circuit wiring and connectors. If you discover current damage, make the respective repairs.
- Verify that the circuit voltages of the components related to this code match those specified in the vehicle's data source. If not, repairs are required.
- Check the condition of the EVAP canister vent control valve rubber tubing and verify that the tubing is not clogged. It is also necessary to check that the canister does not contain excessive amounts of water. Make any necessary corrections.