P1415 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1415 Code failures by brands
P1415 BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, GMC: SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM BANK 1
Description of DTC code P1415
The Secondary Air Injection (AIR) pump is used on vehicles for the purpose of reducing tailpipe emissions when starting the engine. The AIR system includes air pumps, vacuum solenoids, shut-off valves, tubing, hoses, air relays, and fuses.
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the AIR system relay, with which it can regulate its system pump operation. The PCM also uses the solenoid to supply the necessary vacuum to the air shut-off valves. When the system is not operating, the shut-off valves prevent air from passing through. By the time the Secondary Air Injection system is activated, the PCM grounds the relay and the vacuum control solenoid.
Fresh air passes from the pump, through the shutoff valves and consequently enters the exhaust flow. This results in the catalytic converter reaching operating temperature in a shorter time, thus reducing exhaust emissions.
This system is diagnosed by the PCM by employing different checks on the oxygen sensors. In these tests, the AIR pump is activated in a closed loop and consequently, the PCM controls the electrical signals of the HO2S, as well as the fuel control parameters for the two banks of the engine. If the AIR system is functioning properly, these oxygen sensor voltages should be decreasing and the fuel trim should be high. In the event that the PCM does not observe any change in the Oxygen Sensor voltage, it will set DTC P1415 OBD2.
Symptoms of fault code P1415
- Check Engine lamp comes on.
- Difficulty in starting the engine.
- Engine stalls at idle.
- Reduced engine power.
Causes of OBD2 P1415
P1415 OBDII fault code is set for one of the following reasons:
- AIR pump wires may have been damaged.
- The AIR pump may be in poor condition.
- The Secondary Air Injection system may have damage to the shutoff valves.
- The AIR system may have blockages.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1415
To troubleshoot the P1415 OBD2 diagnostic code, consider the following:
- As a first step, it is necessary to consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Verify that the AIR system pump does not present damages in its wiring and connectors. If you detect common damage, make the necessary repairs or changes.
- Disconnect the vacuum line and check if the AIR system vacuum is as indicated in the service manual, this value should generally be 12 in Hg. A different value suggests blockages or obstructions in the system hoses. Correct it as required.
- Check the Secondary Air Injection System pump for damage. If you determine that it is in poor condition, make adjustments accordingly.