P1297 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1297 Code failures by brands
P1297 HONDA - ELECTRIC LOAD DETECTOR (ELD) CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE
Description of DTC code P1297
The Electric Load Detector (ELD) is a vehicle fuse box and relay current transformer. This device detects the amount of voltage drawn from the battery and the charging system. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) regulates the current applied to the coil according to the signal provided by the ELD. Therefore, the alternator's voltage output varies to meet the various charging requirements.
Generally, when air conditioning or lighting system accessories are used, the alternator has an output of 14.4V. While such accessories are not in use, the output of the alternator should be reduced to maximize its lifetime.
If the PCM finds a voltage signal in the Electric Load Detector circuit that is excessively below the voltage expected to be produced by the alternator, the P1297 OBDII diagnostic code will be set.
Symptoms of fault code P1297
- Check Engine lamp ON.
- Low battery charge.
- Unusual noises are perceived from the alternator.
Causes of OBD2 P1297
Reasons for setting the P1297 OBD2 fault code:
- Possibly the Electrical Charge Detector is faulty.
- An internal alternator regulator may be damaged.
- The Powertrain Control Module may have a programming error.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1297
Steps to solve the DTC P1297 OBDII code:
- Start by consulting the vehicle's information source to access the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check the good condition of the cables, connectors, and other components of the vehicle's charging system. Likewise, verify that the battery and alternator do not present any deficiencies that may cause system failures. Make the appropriate repairs or changes.
- Use a digital volt-ohm meter to perform some voltage checks on the alternator. The result of this test should match the results shown on a scan tool. If the signal on the scanner is greater than that indicated by the DVOM, the Electrical Load Detector is damaged. You must replace it.