P1259 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1259 Code failures by brands
P1259 HONDA - VTEC SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code P1259
The VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system was designed by the Honda manufacturer and is used to alter the elevator and duration of the engine valves. This system uses two or up to three camshaft lobe profiles, which can be hydraulically selected to achieve an increase in the volumetric efficiency of the engine. The VTEC system should not be confused with the Variable Valve Timing (VVT), which turns the camshafts concerning a reference point to advance or delay the timing of the valve.
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is based on input data provided by the Engine Speed Sensor, the Throttle Position Sensor, a VTEC oil pressure switch along with other sensor data, with which the switching point between high and low lift valve operation is determined.
The fault code P1259 OBDII Honda is set if the PCM finds some errors in the electrical control/monitoring system of the VTEC system in Bank 1.
Symptoms of fault code P1259
- Check Engine lamp illuminated.
Causes of OBD2 P1259
The reasons for setting the P1259 OBD2 diagnostic code on your Honda vehicle are
- The engine oil level or engine pressure may be lower than the required level.
- Cables or connectors related to the VTEC solenoid may have damage that causes an open or short circuit.
- The VTEC solenoid may be defective.
- The VTEC oil pressure switch may be in bad condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1259
To fix the errors of the DTC code P1259 OBDII, consider this:
- As a first step, we recommend you consult the source of the vehicle's information to find out the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins).
- Check the engine oil level for proper system performance. Verify that there are no leaks, which can affect the pressure of the system. Make the corresponding adjustments.
- Visually, check the cables, connectors, and other components of the VTEC system solenoid electrical circuit. If you find wear and tear or friction damage, make any necessary repairs or changes.
- Locate the vehicle's information source for specific diagnostic steps for the solenoid and VTEC oil pressure switch. If you determine inconsistencies in these components when making these checks, you should replace them.