P1258 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
Description of DTC code P1258 Generic
The Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) is a system used to regulate the operation of the engine valves. This system increases and alters valve lift and uses up to three hydraulically selected camshaft profiles to increase engine volumetric performance. On the other hand, the performance of the VTEC system is not the same as VVT (Variable Valve Timing).
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses information sent to it by the Throttle Position Sensor, Engine Speed Sensor, VTEC oil pressure switch, as well as other sensor data to determine the switch point that exists in the low lift and high lift valve job.
When the P1258 OBDII diagnostic code is set on Honda and Acura manufacturer vehicles, it is because the VTEC oil pressure switch circuit or VTEC solenoid valve circuit is detected to be malfunctioning.
Symptoms of fault code P1258 Generic
- Check Engine lamp is illuminated.
Causes of OBD2 P1258 Generic
OBD2 fault code P1258 is set by one or more of the following reasons:
- Oil pressure or oil level may not be enough.
- Electrical components of the VTECT solenoid or oil pressure switch may be faulty.
- The VTECT solenoid may be in poor condition.
- The VTEC oil pressure switch may be damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1258 Generic
To troubleshoot the DTC P1258 OBDII code, try this:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check if the engine has enough oil in it. Also, check if the oil pressure is enough for the appropriate system performance. Fix any leaks or other damage.
- Check all the electrical components related to the pressure switch and the VTEC solenoid. If you find any burns, wear, or corrosion on them, fix them.
- If after performing the above checks you still get the code P1258, suspect a faulty oil pressure switch, or a bad solenoid. Follow the appropriate diagnostic steps before replacing these components.