P1217 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1217 Code failures by brands
P1217 INFINITI, NISSAN: ENGINE OVER TEMPERATURE
Description of DTC code P1217
The ECM (Engine Control Module) is the vehicle's engine function management module. It controls the cooling system and takes into account issues such as the coolant temperature and pressure, vehicle speed, and the A/C (Air Conditioning) ignition signal. This control system consists of 3 steps (High-Low-Off).
If the erratic operation of the cooling fan or other system component is detected, there will be a meaningful increase in the coolant temperature. If the coolant temperature is too high, the engine will have an overheat condition, and the DTC P1217 OBDII code will be set.
Symptoms of fault code P1217
- Check Engine Lamp ON.
- The engine gets noticeably hotter.
Causes of OBD2 P1217
Reasons to set the P1217 OBD2 diagnostic code:
- Thermostat may be damaged.
- The cooling fan circuit wiring may be faulty.
- The cooling fan could be in poor condition.
- The radiator hoses could have problems.
- The water pump may have defects.
- The amount of coolant may not be the required amount.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1217
Steps to troubleshoot the P1217 OBDII fault code:
- First, consult the TSBs. The manufacturer includes some known problems in their solutions.
- Use a scan tool to find out if other DTCs are stored. If other codes are found, diagnose them in the order shown in the tool.
- Check for the proper amount of coolant available in the engine. Look for leaks or other conditions causing the situation.
- Check cooling fan wiring for common damage caused by high temperatures or wear. Repair if necessary.
- Locate the thermostat and check the thermostat is working properly. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to verify thermostat integrity. If some inconsistencies are found, replace the thermostat.
- Check all the cooling system components for damage. Fix them if necessary.