P1191 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
Description of DTC code P1191 Generic
The ETS (Electronic Throttle System) is composed of a control unit, a motor, the APP Sensor (Accelerator Pedal Position), the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), and a Limp start valve.
In the case of the Limp Start Valve, it is connected under the throttle body and its essential function is to help air to pass from the outside, through this valve, into the combustion chamber of the engine. This action prevents the vehicle from stalling when erratic ETS operation is detected.
P1191 OBD2 fault code is a code used by Hyundai and Kia manufacturers to signal that the engine RPM has been detected to be below 470, resulting in a potential “limp start” mode.
Symptoms of fault code P1191 Generic
- Check Engine light on.
- Lack of engine power.
- Fail-safe mode activated.
Causes of OBD2 P1191 Generic
The reasons for setting the P1191 OBDII diagnostic code are:
- Electronic Throttle System (ETS) wires or connectors could be damaged.
- ETS motor could be faulty.
- The Electronic Throttle System control unit may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1191 Generic
The steps to follow to correct the DTC P1191 OBD2 code are:
- Consult the TSBs.
- Inspect all Electronic Throttle System circuit wires and connectors and verify that they are not defective due to corrosion, burning, or wear. Repair or replace as required.
- Check the throttle body for obstructing airflow. In many cases, carbon builds up around the throttle body and causes this malfunction.
- If the P1191 code is still set after performing the checks, the engine and Electronic Throttle System unit need to be diagnosed.