P1168 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
P1168 Code failures by brands
P1168 INFINITI, NISSAN: CLOSED LOOP CONTROL FUNCTION BANK 2
Description of DTC code P1168
The air/fuel ratio sensors measure how much oxygen is present in the exhaust and send this data to the Engine Control Module (ECM), which uses it to adjust the air-fuel mixture as necessary.
The ECM performs the ON/OFF service control of the A/F (Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor) heater to maintain the temperature of the element sensor within the proper parameters for proper performance.
On Infiniti and Nissan vehicles, the P1168 OBDII fault code is set when the closed-loop function for bank 2 could not be completed. This function cannot be performed even in cases where the vehicle is running under the specified condition.
Symptoms of fault code P1168
- Check Engine light ON.
- Irregular motor operation.
- Engine failures at idle.
Causes of OBD2 P1168
The P1168 OBD2 diagnostic code is stored for one of the following reasons:
- Bank 2 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 circuit wires or connectors may be in poor condition. (2005 and later models).
- Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 may be faulty. (2005 and newer models).
- Oxygen sensor circuit wiring may be faulty. (Models before 2005).
- Oxygen Sensor 1 of bank 2 may be in bad condition. (Models before 2005).
Possible solutions of the DTC code P1168
To solve the DTC P1168 OBDII code, try this:
- To start the diagnosis, we recommend that you consult the Technical Service Bulletins. Note that, for this code, there is a bulletin that suggests first reprogramming the Engine Control Module before replacing any parts.
- Check if other fault codes are stored. If so, you must diagnose those codes before P1168.
- Check for damage to the wiring and connectors of the Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 and Oxygen Sensor. If common deficiencies are found, make appropriate repairs.