P0974 - SHIFT SOLENOID "A" CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
Description of DTC code P0974
Shift solenoids are part of the automatic transmission system, which is electronically activated and controlled by the vehicle's computer. The transmissions have different shift solenoids, which are responsible for opening or closing the valves, thus regulating the transmission fluid flow. This is how transmission speed changes are achieved.
The correct performance of these solenoids is checked by the Transmission Control Module (TCM). It verifies that the resistance is as expected. If an open circuit is detected when checking these values, the DTC P0974 OBD2 code is set.
Symptoms of fault code P0974
- Check Engine lamp illuminated.
- Problems during acceleration.
- Lower fuel efficiency.
- Drastic vehicle changes.
Causes of OBD2 P0974
The reasons for storing the P0974 OBDII diagnostic code are:
- There may be a low transmission fluid level.
- Perhaps the transmission fluid is contaminated.
- The solenoid circuit wires could be damaged.
- The solenoid circuit could be shorted.
- Possibly the shift solenoid "A" is faulty.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0974
To fix the P0974 OBD2 trouble code you must do the following:
- Check that the transmission fluid level is necessary for a good operation of the system. If there is a low level, there may be possible leaks. Also, check that the fluid is not contaminated. Make the corresponding corrections.
- Check the wires of the solenoid circuit. Verify that none of them are damaged. Repair if necessary or replace the cable.
- Check the continuity of all wiring associated with the circuit. A lack of continuity is due to damaged wiring causing an open circuit. Repair as required.
- Replace shift solenoid "A".