P0880 - TCM POWER INPUT SIGNAL
Description of DTC code P0880 Generic
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is often integrated in a single housing with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). But even so, the automatic transmission function controller is turned on separately. A fuse or relay and its respective links are included in the circuit. Although the PCM and TCM are usually powered by the same relay, each has an individual circuit.
Once the ignition switch is activated, the vehicle’s main computer performs a self-test of all controllers. In the event that the TCM power input signal is not within the acceptable range, the DTC P0880 OBD2 is set.
Symptoms of fault code P0880 Generic
- Check Engine light is on.
- Transmission shifts erratically.
- During idle, engine stalls.
- Difficult to operate speedometer properly.
- Other transmission-related diagnostic codes
Causes of OBD2 P0880 Generic
The reasons for the P0880 OBDII error code setting are:
- Maybe the PCM / TCM power relay is faulty.
- Perhaps in the system related circuit there is a blown fuse or fuse link.
- Possibly the PCM or TCM power input circuit is shorted.
- Perhaps there is a programming error in the TCM or PCM.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0880 Generic
The steps to resolve the P0880 OBD2 fault code are:
- It is always advisable to start the diagnosis by consulting the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check all the fuses and fuse links of the system, in this test the fuses must be charged. Replace any fuses that require it.
- Swap the TCM relay with other similar relays. This way you can find out if the relay is failing. Replace the TCM relay, if you determine that it is faulty. Then clear the code.
- Check that the circuit wires related to the system are in good condition. Repair or replace any of these components that are defective.
- Use a DVOM to test the TCM or PCM power input signal circuit. If battery voltage is not present, check the circuit wires for damage, or the ignition switch is in good condition.
- If less than battery voltage is present in this test, it is due to a shorted or corroded cable. Repair it as required.
- If there is no battery voltage, suspect a PCM or TCM programming error, if this is the case, you must go to a specialized service.