P0792 - INTERMEDIATE SHAFT SPEED SENSOR A CIRCUIT RANGE
Description of DTC code P0792
The Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor is an electrical device whose function is to detect the speed at which the inlet turbine rotates. The ECM (Engine Control Module) compares the speed of the inlet turbine with the speed of the gearbox and in this way, the timing of the shifts can be determined to correctly regulate the hydraulic pressure and engine torque.
The P0792 OBD2 diagnostic code setting occurs when the ECM or TCM discovers that the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor circuit is out of range.
Symptoms of fault code P0792
- Check Engine Lamp illuminated.
- Problems when shifting gears.
- Engine speed is deficient.
Causes of OBD2 P0792
The reasons for storing the DTC P0792 OBDII are:
- There may be a low transmission fluid level or the transmission fluid could have been contaminated.
- Possibly the wiring or connections related to the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor are damaged.
- The Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor or other related sensors could be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0792
The steps to troubleshoot the P0792 OBD2 fault code are as follows:
- As a first step consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Verify if the amount of fluid available for the transmission is the required one. Also, check if the fluid has contamination or other inconsistencies. Correct it as applicable.
- Check all wiring and other electrical components of the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor circuit. Look for damage caused by burns or wear. Repair it as applicable.
- Check if the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor circuit voltages are within the manufacturer's specifications. If deficient voltages are found, proceed with corrective action.