P0780 - SHIFT ERROR
Description of DTC code P0780
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the vehicle's automatic transmission. To achieve this, it relies on the input signals from the transmission sensors with which the shift strategy is calculated. The PCM activates the solenoids to allow the high-pressure fluid from the transmission to pass into the corresponding hydraulic circuit in the valve body.
When the error code P0780 OBDII is stored, it is because the PCM found a difference in RPM between the rotation speed of the input shaft and the output shaft of the transmission, as there are gear changes. This difference may be greater or less than that specified by the manufacturer.
Symptoms of fault code P0780
- The Check Engine light turns on.
- The vehicle does not change properly.
- Increased fuel consumption.
- Symptoms of misfiring.
Causes of OBD2 P0780
The reasons why the DTC code P0780 OBD2 is stored are
- Transmission cables or connectors may be defective.
- Transmission fluid may have a low level of excess.
- A replacement solenoid may be defective.
- Perhaps the Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) is in bad condition.
- The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) locking solenoid may be damaged.
- Possibly the Torque Converter Clutch is defective.
- The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) may be defective.
- The valve body may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0780
To solve the problems of the diagnostic code P0780 OBDII you must do the following:
- Check the wire harness and the respective connectors leading to the transmission. Replace any burnt or worn out wires.
- Verify that the transmission fluid is not contaminated or that the level is not too low. Replace the fluid if necessary.
- Make sure the transmission cooling lines are not leaking. Repair as needed.