P0746 - PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID "A" PERFORMANCE OR STUCK OFF
Description of DTC code P0746
Transmission pressure control solenoids are intended to control the fluid pressure for proper operation in an automatic transmission.
These devices send the PCM an electronic signal based on their internal pressure. It is important to mention that for the automatic transmission to work properly, the belts and clutches that control it must change gears when the fluid pressure is at the right place at the right time. For this reason, to direct the fluid at the right pressure to the different hydraulic circuits, the PCM controls the pressure solenoids to change the transmission ratio at the right time.
When the diagnostic code P0746 OBDII is stored, it is because the pressure control solenoid "A" is not working properly or is stuck in the off position.
Symptoms of fault code P0746
- The Check Engine light turns on.
- The vehicle goes into limp mode.
- Transmission overheating.
- When shifting, the transmission slips.
- Higher fuel consumption.
Causes of OBD2 P0746
Reasons for setting the DTC P0746 OBD2 code:
- The pressure control solenoid "A" may be broken.
- The transmission fluid may be dirty or contaminated.
- Defects in the cables or connectors leading to the transmission.
- The transmission filter may be clogged.
- The transmission pump may be faulty.
- The transmission valve body may be damaged.
- Restrictions on hydraulic passages.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0746
To troubleshoot the problems associated with the P0746 ODBII fault code, try this:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check both the level and condition of the transmission fluid. Look for contaminants. Replace if necessary.
- Check cables and connectors thoroughly for damage. Repair or replace any that have defects.
- Test the continuity of all related wiring. Make the respective adjustments.
- Check the transmission valve body. Replace if damaged.
- Replace pressure control solenoid "A".