P0744 - TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CIRCUIT INTERMITTENT
Description of DTC code P0744
Vehicles with automatic transmissions are equipped with a Torque Converter Clutch (TCC). The TCC is located between the engine and the transmission. Its purpose is to increase the torque output of the engine and to control the rear wheels.
There is a coupling system between the engine and transmission that multiplies torque, resulting in equal speeds. There is minimal difference between the engine RPM and transmission input RPM. To achieve this, TCC solenoids are used, which are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Transmission Control Module (TCM. They send hydraulic fluid and engage the clutch, creating a strong coupling and increased efficiency.
DTC P0744 OBDII is set when the PCM or TCM finds a fault in the TCC solenoid circuit.
Symptoms of fault code P0744
- The Check Engine light turns on.
- The fuel consumption increases.
- Transmission slippage.
- Transmission overheating.
Causes of OBD2 P0744
Reasons for setting the P0744 OBD2 diagnostic code:
- There may be damage to the transmission cables or open or short circuits.
- The Torque Converter Clutch solenoid may be faulty.
- Mechanical failures in the internal part of the transmission.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0744
To solve the faults related to the P0744 OBDII error code, try this:
- Check the wiring system and connectors leading to the transmission for worn or burned wires, corroded connectors, or bad terminals. Check for a short to ground on the TCC wires and solenoids. Repair or replace.
- Check with a voltmeter that the ground circuit is not shorted. If you get a low resistance, it is due to a short. You should scrape it off.
- Check the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid resistance, which should be within the manufacturer's specifications. If it does not meet these data, replace the solenoid.