P0736 - REVERSE GEAR INCORRECT GEAR RATIO
Description of DTC code P0736 Generic
Modern vehicles with automatic transmissions or transaxles employ a Torque Converter across the motor and transmission to achieve increased torque output from the engine to drive the rear wheels. The controllers use the information provided by the sensors to check the correct operation of the transmission and its components
When the DTC P0736 OBDII code is stored, it means that a problem has occurred while shifting to reverse gear, or while driving in reverse.
Symptoms of fault code P0736 Generic
- Check Engine light comes on.
- There are delays in shifting gears or it is not possible to shift into reverse.
- Transmission slips.
Causes of OBD2 P0736 Generic
The reasons for the P0736 OBD2 diagnostic code to be stored are:
- Transmission fluid may be low or contaminated.
- A shift solenoid could be in poor condition.
- The transmission could have internal mechanical failures.
- The transmission main control may be clogged.
- There could possibly be deficiencies in the TCM (Transmission Control Module).
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0736 Generic
To troubleshoot the P0736 OBDII fault code consider the following:
- Consult the TSB.
- Check that the level and condition of the transmission fluid are adequate for a good performance of the system. If you detect a low level of contamination, proceed with the corresponding adjustments.
- Check if in addition to code P0736 other codes warn of problems with a Shift Solenoid or other transmission component. Diagnose according to the order obtained.
- Make sure there are no blockages in the transmission hydraulic passages. If such a condition is discovered, make the necessary repairs.
- Since the transmission reverse gear is controlled hydraulically and not by a solenoid, failure to shift the transmission into reverse may be due to mechanical or pressure failure. Therefore, use an advanced diagnostic tool to check the gear being commanded by the transmission, and verify if the engine speed matches the calculated output speed from the transmission sensor. Corrects it as applicable.
Codes related to P0736