P0720 - OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code P0720
The diagnostic code P0720 OBD2 indicates that there is a problem in the OSS (Output Shaft Speed Sensor) circuit. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) takes the signal from the OSS (Output shaft speed) sensor. Thus, it determines the best way to make changes, this information is sent to the transmission. In case the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) does not receive information from the OSS sensor or this information is received sporadically or with errors, the DTC code P0720 is set.
Symptoms of fault code P0720
- The Check Engine service light is lit on the dashboard.
- You can see that the speedometer is not working properly.
- Changes or travel may be delayed.
Causes of OBD2 P0720
The problems that accompany a fault code P0720 OBDII may be:
- The cables leading to the OSS and ISS sensors may be worn or corroded.
- The OSS sensor may be defective.
- The ISS (Input Speed Sensor) may be defective.
- Perhaps the level of the transmission fluid is below the expected level or has elements that contaminate it.
- The shift solenoids may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0720
The solutions to error code P0720 OBD2 are as follows:
- Remove the OSS and check that the gears are in good condition. If the teeth are worn or missing, you can replace the gear.
- Check the cable system for any loose connections or damaged cables. Also, check for loose or dirty terminals. Repair or replace it if necessary. Make sure there is no excessive resistance. If found, trace the wiring through each connector circuit to determine the cause.
- Make sure there are no short circuits to the ground on the wires. You can move the wires and see if there are changes when you do.
- Check the resistance of the OSS by removing the connector from the wiring harness and with a meter in ohms, you should verify that the resistance is within the factory specifications. If the resistance is not within the expected range, you can replace the OSS sensor.
- Check the current entering the sensor and the cable connector to the PCM, using a factory wiring diagram as a reference.