P0650 - MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) CONTROL CIRCUIT
Description of DTC code P0650
DTC code P0650 OBDII indicates that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has located a fault in the electrical circuit of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). This lamp is also known as "Check Engine Light" or "Engine Service Soon".
What happens is that there are vehicles where the PCM voltage is either too high or too low. There may even be no voltage present. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the lamp when it monitors the lamp ground circuit and checks the voltage in that ground circuit.
It should be mentioned that a normal malfunction indicator lamp activity is that it lights up for some seconds, then goes out when the engine is started or when the car is started.
Symptoms of fault code P0650
- The malfunction indicator light does not come on when it should.
- Check Engine light illuminated all the time.
Causes of OBD2 P0650
When the fault code P0650 OBD2 is set, it means that one or more of the following issues have occurred:
- The bulb or LED of the MIL light may be burned out.
- MIL light cables may be defective, causing a short.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0650
To solve the problems of the diagnostic code P0650 OBDII, you must do the following:
- First of all, you should check if the light bulb turns on when it should. Remember that it should light up for a few seconds when the vehicle is started. If it does turn on for a few seconds and then off, the light bulb is in good condition.
- If the MIL light does not turn on at all, check the source of the problem. With an automotive scanner, turn the MIL light on and off.
- Check to see if the bulb is burned out. If it is, change it. Anyway, check that the bulb connection is correct. Check that all cables and connectors going to the MIL lamp up to the PCM are in good condition. Repair or replace them.
- Check if other elements of the instrument group are working properly. That is warning lights, indicators, and others.
- Remove the cluster, and if your vehicle has a fuse, check that it is in good condition. Change it if necessary.
- It uses a digital voltmeter to check the corresponding cables from the external circuit of the lamp to the PCM. Verifies proper operation. Repair or replace if problems are found.