P0551 - POWER STEERING PRESSURE (PSP) SENSOR / SWITCH RANGE / PERFORMANCE PROBLEM
Description of DTC code P0551
The power steering system consists of a steering pump, which is driven by a belt, a steering box, there are also hoses and sensors. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) works in conjunction with the PSP (Power Steering Pressure) Sensor to control the system pressure and make adjustments accordingly.
The PCM illuminates the Check Engine light along with the diagnostic code P0551 OBDII when it finds one or more conditions that are outside the range of the power steering circuit and sensors. While this code is usually caused by electrical failures, mechanical problems are not excluded.
Symptoms of fault code P0551
- MIL light on.
- You may notice a stagnation of the engine.
- Difficulty in driving the vehicle.
- You may watch fluid leaks.
Causes of OBD2 P0551
The error code P0551 OBD2 is set for the following reasons:
- The wire harness may be in bad condition.
- The power steering may leak fluid.
- There may be a faulty relay.
- The Direction Pressure Sensor (PSP) may be damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0551
To give the proper solution to the fault code P0551 OBDII, you must do this:
- The first thing you should do is check the level of the power steering fluid. You should look for leaks. Check the PSP Sensor for any trace of fluid. Make any necessary repairs.
- Check the power steering system cables and connectors. Repair or replace as necessary.
- Check the Steering Pressure Sensor electrical connector. If you see oil residue, it is obviously due to leaks. You must clean up properly before reinstalling. If the connector shows signs of corrosion, it should be repaired or replaced.
- Change the PSP Sensor.