P0523 - ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR / SWITCH HIGH INPUT
Description of DTC code P0523
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls multiple sensors, controllers, and electronic components that the vehicle is equipped with. One of these is the Oil Pressure Sensor (OPS) in the engine. This information is sent to the PCM as a voltage reading. Depending on the vehicle model, the oil pressure value may be transmitted to a gauge in the instrument cluster. In this way, the driver knows the oil pressure. If the gauge is missing, there will be a warning light indicating a problem.
The setting of the OBD2 DTC P0523 occurs when the PCM observes a value above the set level in the OPS sensor. This sensor works with a 5-volt circuit. Therefore, if the voltage is higher than the above mentioned, the Check Engine lamp will illuminate next to this code.
Symptoms of fault code P0523
- The MIL light turns on.
- The lamp indicating high oil pressure turns on.
- The PCM can shut down the engine. In this case, other codes will have been stored.
- During engine operation, you can hear mechanical noises, which vary as the vehicle speed changes.
Causes of OBD2 P0523
Reasons for setting the P0523 OBDII diagnostic code:
- The oil pump may have mechanical failures.
- Oil lines or passages may be clogged or have restrictions.
- The wrong oil may be used.
- The cables or connectors leading to the Oil Pressure Sensor may be damaged.
- The OPS sensor may be faulty.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0523
To fix the faults associated with the P0523 OBD2 trouble code, try this :
- Make sure that the oil level and type are correct. Change it if necessary.
- Check system wiring and connectors. Look for burned, worn, or loose wires. Repair or replace.
- Use a scan tool, make an oil pressure test. The reading obtained should be compared to the value displayed by the OPS Sensor as seen by the PCM. If there are inconsistencies when comparing the values, some repairs should be made.
- Check that the Oil Pressure Sensor is receiving the reference voltage. Replace it if it does not.