P0522 - ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR/SWITCH LOW INPUT
Description of DTC code P0522
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) controls the sensors and other electronic components of the vehicle. Among these sensors is the OPS (Oil Pressure Sensor). Its function is to detect the amount of oil pressure in the engine, then send this information as a voltage value to the PCM. This pressure value is also transmitted to a meter in the instrument cluster, through which the driver can see the oil pressure.
When the diagnostic code P0522 OBDII is set, it is because the PCM has observed an excessively low value in the OPS sensor. If the oil pressure is really low, the engine can suffer permanent damage. Although probably the cause related to this code is an electrical problem.
Symptoms of fault code P0522
- Check Engine light on.
- Illuminated oil pressure indicator lamp.
- The oil pressure gauge can give a low reading.
- The engine may not start.
- While driving, the engine may stop.
Causes of OBD2 P0522
The DTC code P0522 OBD2 indicates that one or more of the following have occurred:
- The oil level can be very low, or the oil applied is the wrong one.
- Obstructions in the oil passage.
- Short circuit due to defects in the cables or connectors.
- The Oil Pressure Sensor (OPS) may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0522
To solve the problems related to the P0522 OBDII fault code you must do the following:
- Check if there are Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) applicable to your vehicle.
- If other DTC codes are established regarding the oil, check the oil level, as well as its condition, also check that the oil filter is not obstructed.
- Perform a review of all cables and connectors in the oil pressure delivery unit. If there are worn or loose wires, repair or replace it. Do the same with the cables that lead to the PCM.
- Using a digital volt-ohm meter (DVOM), measure the voltages of the OPS sensor. Then, compare with the manufacturer's specifications and if they are not within these specifications, replace the OPS sensor.