P0510 - CLOSED THROTTLE POSITION SWITCH MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code P0510
Certain vehicle models may have a switch that tells the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when the throttle body is closed. When the throttle closes, the switch will also close immediately. The PCM uses this switch to allow the engine to enter fuel cut mode when in motion.
The P0510 OBDII fault code indicates that there is a problem with the vehicle's throttle plate. Generally, on most vehicle models the PCM will store this code by reporting an improper throttle plate within at least 5 seconds. The PCM measures the throttle position based on voltage differences.
A P0510 code leads to serious engine and throttle problems. In severe cases, the car will be basically inoperable. A P0510 code should be treated as a very serious problem for the vehicle, therefore it is recommended to repair it before using the vehicle again. In this short guide, we will tell you its symptoms and causes to make it easier to determine how to repair it.
Symptoms of fault code P0510
- Check Engine lamp comes on.
- Engine frequently stalls.
- Acceleration deficiencies.
Causes of OBD2 P0510
The P0510 OBD2 fault code is set due to the following:
- The circuit wiring harness may be open or have a loose connection.
- The closed throttle position switch may be faulty.
- The throttle body idle speed adjustment screw could be damaged.
- Defective ECM.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0510
To troubleshoot the DTC P0510 OBDII code you must do the following:
- Unplug the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) wiring harness connector and with a multimeter check for continuity between the switch and the PCM. Resistance should be present in the wiring, but if the resistance is infinite, there is an open circuit. Repair it and replace the wiring harness assembly.
- With the multimeter check for resistance at the throttle position switch pins or TPS sensor as applicable. When the throttle body is closed, resistance should be present. If the switch is fully closed, it will be necessary to adjust the idle adjustment screw.