P0489 - EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION "A" CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
Description of DTC code P0489 Generic
The fault code P0489 OBD2 means the Engine Control Module (ECM) has a problem in an electrical component of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR). This system prevents harmful emissions from passing into the environment.
The EGR system works through the ECM so that the cylinder may keep head pressure. On the other hand, the ECM is in charge of opening or closing the EGR valve. To do this, it takes into account some things such as the vehicle’s speed, load, and temperature.
The ECM has a degree of change in the exhaust manifold. If proper exhaust flow is not detected once the EGR valve is activated, this code will be stored.
Symptoms of fault code P0489 Generic
- The Check Engine lamp lights up.
- The fuel economy has a reduction.
- The power of the vehicle drops.
- Vehicle startup takes longer than normal or may not start completely.
Causes of OBD2 P0489 Generic
Reasons for storing the DTC P0489 OBDII code:
- Damage to wiring or connectors.
- The circuit may be shorted to ground or battery voltage.
- Maybe the EGR system passages are clogged.
- EGR System
- The EGR system valve may be in bad condition.
- The EGR system control solenoid may be faulty.
- Damaged EGR system vacuum lines.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0489 Generic
To solve the issues associated with the P0489 OBD2 diagnostic code, try this:
- With the engine running, watch if there is an inactive idle. If so, disconnect the EGR If the engine then idles smoothly, the EGR system pin is stuck. Replace the valve.
- Check electrical components such as cables and connectors. You should repair or replace any of these that have damage such as wear, burning, or corrosion. Then, clear the code.
- Test the connector terminals with a voltmeter. There should be 12 volts at each. If 12 volts is not present, it is due to a faulty wire between the EGR and the ignition bus. If voltage is present on only one terminal, there is an internal open. Replace the EGR