P0488 - EGR THROTTLE POSITION CONTROL RANGE / PERFORMANCE
Description of DTC code P0488 Generic
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) is located between the intake manifold and the air cleaner. It is used to create a vacuum to direct the exhaust gases to the intake manifold.
Symptoms of fault code P0488 Generic
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- The exhaust system warm-up time is longer than normal.
Causes of OBD2 P0488 Generic
Reasons for setting the P0488 OBD2 diagnostic code:
- The signal circuit between the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve and the PCM may be open.
- There may be a short to ground or voltage in the EGR valve circuit.
- The EGR valve may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0488 Generic
To solve the P0488 OBDII fault code, you can do this:
- Check the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) available for your vehicle.
- Check the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve wires or connectors. Check these components for damage, such as burning or wear. Also, check the connector terminals because these are usually corroded. Repair or replace as necessary.
- After unplugging the harness leading to the EGR valve, test the valve signal circuit. There should be 5 volts. Otherwise, fix the wiring from the PCM to the EGR valve.
- Also, check there is a good ground connection for the EGR valve. Repair if necessary.
- Replace the EGR valve.