P0463 - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT
Description of DTC code P0463
The Fuel Level Sensor (FLS) is located in the fuel tank, and is usually integrated in the fuel pump module.
It has a float that is connected to the arm that is mobilized by a resistor that is grounded to the fuel tank, or in some cases it may have a ground circuit dedicated to it. The voltage that is supplied to you just like the earth, changes according to the level of fuel. In general, the voltage is 5 volts.
When changing the fuel level, the float moves the arm and the resistance to ground changes, causing the voltage signal to change. This signal is sent to the fuel pump module who monitors the resistance to ground and then transmits the information to the Power Train Control Module (PCM). If this signal is greater than 5 volts for a specific time, the DTC code P0463 OBD2 is set.
Symptoms of fault code P0463
- Check Engine light is activated.
- The fuel gauge may change abnormally.
- It is indicated that there is little fuel.
Causes of OBD2 P0463
The factors that lead to the establishment of fault code P0463 are:
- Fault in the Fuel Level Sensor Circuit.
- The FLS sensor may be defective.
- The Fuel Level Sensor Float may be defective.
- Fuel tank with corrosion.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0463
The steps to correct the problems of diagnostic code P0463 are the following:
- Inspect the fuel tank, the cables related to it and if there is damage to the tank that could have affected the fuel pump. Also verify the connection to ground. Repair as necessary.
- Check the status of the Fuel Level Sensor Float. Change it if necessary.