P0458 - EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM PURGES CONTROL VALVE CIRCUIT LOW
Description of DTC code P0458 Generic
The Evaporative Emissions Control System (EVAP) removes the excess fuel vapors from the tank. This process is critical, otherwise, the vapors would escape into the atmosphere. This system reduces the vehicle’s emissions to prevent the fuel from escaping into the atmosphere.
Once the engine starts, the bleed valve opens, allowing fuel vapor to be drawn through the vacuum created by the engine into the intake manifold. At the same time, the vent shutoff valve also opens, allowing a quantity of air to flow into the canister and mix with the fuel vapor. Once this process is complete, venting is achieved in the system, and the two valves close.0
Symptoms of fault code P0458 Generic
- The Check Engine light turns on.
- Increased fuel consumption.
- Other emission system codes are stored.
Causes of OBD2 P0458 Generic
Reasons for storing the P0458 OBDII diagnostic code:
- There may be cables or connectors in poor condition.
- The circuit may have a blown fuse.
- Purge control solenoid may be damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0458 Generic
To troubleshoot the P0458 OBD2 fault code, try this:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check the circuit connectors and wires for damage that could cause a short or open circuit. Fix or replace if necessary.
- Use a digital volt-ohm meter to verify that battery voltage is present. When performing this check, the switch must be on the power side of the solenoid connector. If voltage is not present, check the wiring for damage.
- Check that the solenoid ground circuit is not shorted. If this is the case, make repairs.
- Check the resistance of the solenoid with a DVOM. If you discover an out-of-range resistance, the solenoid is in bad condition and needs to be replaced.