P0442 - EVAP EMISSION CONTROL SMALL LEAK DETECTED
Description of DTC code P0442
The engine control module (ECM) checks the evaporative emission control system (EVAP) for these situations:
- Some kind of leak.
- Excess vacuum.
- There is a flow of purges under uncommanded conditions.
- Fuel level and pressure sensors are failing.
Symptoms of fault code P0442
- The Check Engine light is on.
- There is an odor of fuel caused by the release of vapors.
Causes of OBD2 P0442
A code P0442 may have one or more of the following problems:
- The fuel cap is incorrectly positioned or it does not correspond to the vehicle.
- There may be a foreign element in the fuel filler cap.
- A leak in the fuel tank.
- The EVAP system may have some defective hose or tubing.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0442
To solve the DTC code P0442, you can check the following components:
- Check that the fuel filler cap is not loose, this is one of the most common causes that trigger this code.
- Then, delete the codes and drive the vehicle for one day, and check if the code does not reappear.
- Check the EVAP evaporative emissions system, and check for component failure.