P0380 - GLOW PLUGS / CIRCUIT HEATER "A" MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code P0380
The glow plugs heat up over some time to increase the temperature of the cylinder, thus, they allow the diesel to ignite better. To do this, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is based on the temperature of the coolant when the vehicle is started.
If there are problems with the glow plug or its circuit, the diagnostic code P0380 OBDII is set. Depending on the vehicle model, the PCM orders the glow plugs to work for a longer time, to reduce white smoke as well as engine noise. Therefore, this DTC code refers to a fault in the glow plug circuit "A".
Symptoms of fault code P0380
- Check Engine light on.
- In a cold climate, the start is difficult.
- When starting, there may be loud noises coming from the engine.
- White smoke from the exhaust.
Causes of OBD2 P0380
The factors that can lead to the establishment of fault code P0380 are:
- There may be a fault in the electrical circuit of the glow plug.
- The spark plug relay may be defective.
- Defective fuse.
- A defective glow plug.
- The defective spark plug module.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0380
The steps to be followed for the correct diagnosis and proper repair of faults caused by the DTC code P0380 OBD2 are as follows:
- First of all, you should consult the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB), as the solution to your problem may be known to the manufacturer.
- Perform an inspection of the fuses related to the glow plug. If you find problems in one of these, change it.
- Check the glow plug as well as its cables and connectors. If there are problems such as worn or corroded cables, repair or replace them as necessary.
- Using a DVOM (Digital Volt-Ohm Meter) and check the resistance of the cable connectors. The result of this reading should be compared with the manufacturer's specifications. Also, disconnect the glow plug wires and measure the resistance, repair if you find problems in them.