P0316 - ENGINE MISFIRE AT STARTUP
Description of DTC code P0316
To calculate the fuel supply and the ignition time, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is based on the position of the crankshaft of the camshaft and the engine RPM. If the PCM detects that there is a variation of the preset parameters in the position of the camshaft and the crankshaft, which translates as an engine ignition failure soon after the start and the DTC code P0316 OBD2 is established. This misfire is specific within 1,000 revolutions. It should be mentioned that other diagnostic codes related to misfiring may appear next to this diagnostic code.
Symptoms of fault code P0316
- Malfunction indicator light (Check Engine) on.
- Lowers the power of the vehicle.
- Instability in acceleration.
Causes of OBD2 P0316
Fault code P0316 OBDII can be established due to:
- A low fuel level.
- Poor fuel quality.
- CKP sensor cables or sensor connector (crankshaft position sensor) defective.
- Defective CKP sensor.
- Malfunction of the ignition system.
- Injector or fuel pump defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0316
Before the DTC code P0316 you must do the following:
- First of all, if other diagnostic codes related to misfiring are established, you must first correct it. Also check the Technical service bulletins (TBS). The solution to your problem may be known by the manufacturer.
- Verify that the fuel level is adequate.
- Check the condition of components such as spark plugs and their wires, coil, distributor cap, repair or change one of these, if you find inconsistencies.
- Check the fuel injectors, change if there are defects in one of these.
- If the DTC code P0316 is the only code established, you should check the CKP sensors (Crankshaft position sensor) and CMP (Camshaft position sensor). Check the status of connectors and cables related to these sensors. Repair or change as necessary.
- Change the EGR valve.
- Inspect TWC (Three Way Catalyst). Make sure there is no element that causes obstruction.