P0315 - CRANKSHAFT POSITION SYSTEM -VARIATION NOT LEARNED
Description of DTC code P0315
The diagnostic code P0315 OBD2 refers to the relationship between the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and the Power Train Control Module (PCM). The vehicle's computer measures the changes between the reference points of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Then, these measurements are compared to a reference that is stored in the PCM.
In case the variation or changes are above a calibrated percentage, this code is established. Generally, the fault is due to a problem in the electrical circuit, although mechanical problems may also influence.
Symptoms of fault code P0315
- Check Engine light illumination.
- The engine can start, but it shuts down.
Causes of OBD2 P0315
The reasons that lead to the establishment of the P0315 OBDII error code are:
- The procedure for learning the crankshaft position may not be performed correctly.
- There may be sync components that are worn out.
- Earth circuit of the CKP sensor open.
- The signal circuit between the PCM and the CKP sensor in short.
- The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0315
To correct the faults of the DTC code P0315 OBD2 do the following:
- Check if there are Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) corresponding to your vehicle.
- With a scanner erase the code and see if it returns the next time you start the engine.
- After locating the CKP sensor, check the connectors and cables. Look for wear, corrosion or rubbing on these components. Make the necessary repair or change.
- Remove the CKP sensor. Check it for damage to parts near synchronization components. If it seems to have suffered blows, replace it.