P0306 - CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE DETECTED
Description of DTC code P0306
The diagnostic code DTC P0306 gives us to understand that the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has detected that one of the cylinders of the engine is not working correctly. In this case, it tells us that it is cylinder number 6.
Symptoms of fault code P0306
- The motor presents instability.
- The response of the motor is very unstable, it takes a long time to turn on and when it starts, after a few minutes the motor fails.
Causes of OBD2 P0306
A code P0306 may have one or more of the following problems:
- Some spark plug or one of its wires may be damaged or dirty.
- The ignition coil may be showing faults.
- An Oxygen Sensor (O2) with problems.
- Fuel injector defective.
- The exhaust valve could be damaged
- Failures in the Catalytic Converter or catalyst.
- The fuel tank may be empty.
- There is poor compression, due to causes such as ring wear, bad synchronization, belt timing, among others.
- The PowerTrain Control Module or PCM may be presenting voltage problems or internal components of the motherboard, such as diodes, resistors or capacitors.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0306
To fix the DTC code P0306 you can check the following components:
- In the event that the motor presents instability, it is advisable to check the entire wiring system and its respective connectors that lead to the cylinder one by one.
- Check the spark plugs and cables of the distribution.
- Clean spark plugs and distribution cables.
- If necessary change spark plugs and wires.
- Check the ignition coil.
- Check the catalytic converter, especially the lower thermal screen, in case of finding a problem, replace it.
- Inspect the fuel injectors.
- Performs maintenance to the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and verifies the output voltage of that sensor.
- Check the EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), as it may be stuck short.